- What is the Best Yorkie Shampoo?
- What to Look for in a Top-Rated Yorkie Shampoo
- Different Types of Shampoos for Yorkies
- The 5 Best Dog Shampoos for Yorkies
- More Top-Rated Dog Shampoos for Yorkies
- 5 Tips for Bathing a Yorkie
Small but mighty, the Yorkshire Terrier is known for his diminutive stature but big personality. These little dogs are full of spunk and they are surprisingly smart. Small as they are, however, these dogs are not exactly a low-maintenance breed – particularly when it comes to their coat.
Yorkshire Terriers have long, silky coats that come in a stunning combination of blue and tan. Even if you cut your Yorkie’s coat short, it still needs a lot of care. You’re going to wish you bought stock in Yorkie dog shampoo.
To help you keep your Yorkie’s coat in good condition, we’ve assembled our selections for the best dog shampoo for Yorkies. You’ll also find our advice for picking a shampoo and bathing your Yorkie below.
What is the Best Yorkie Shampoo?
- Nootie Dog Shampoo with Soothing Aloe
- TropiClean Hypoallergenic Gentle Coconut
- Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe All-Natural – Most Popular
- 4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
- Isle of Dogs Silky Coating Shampoo for Dogs
What to Look for in a Top-Rated Yorkie Shampoo
The Yorkshire Terrier is often described as a big dog in a small dog’s body. Not only is this true about their personality, but they also have more than their fair share of health issues – skin issues in particular. Yorkies are especially prone to fleas and flea bite allergies as well as various conditions that cause hair loss like hypothyroidism and color dilution alopecia. They also tend to suffer from dry skin which can lead to flakiness, redness, and irritation if the problem isn’t treated.
Not only is the Yorkie affected by several skin problems, but these problems can get a lot worse if you don’t take care of your dog’s coat. The Yorkie’s long, silky coat is prone to mats and tangles which can pull at the skin and make minor irritation worse. Itching and irritation can cause your Yorkie to chew at his skin which may make the problem worse and could open him up to skin infections.
The best way to keep your Yorkie’s skin and coat in good condition is to bathe him regularly. Here are some thing to look for in Yorkie shampoo:
- Hypoallergenic – Yorkies are prone to allergies of all kinds, including skin allergies. Choosing a shampoo that is hypoallergenic is the best way to reduce the risk for a negative reaction.
- Natural – All dogs deserve a shampoo made with natural ingredients that are good for the skin and coat instead of harsh, chemical ingredients that can contribute to skin problems.
- pH Balance – Dogs have a pH between 6.5 and 7.5 in their skin which is different from human skin. Using human shampoo or the wrong pH can damage your Yorkie’s skin and lead to dryness and irritation. It can also affect hair growth and strip your dog’s coat of its shine.
- Moisturizers – Your Yorkie’s skin is incredibly delicate and prone to dryness, so finding a shampoo that helps moisturize your dog’s skin is essential. Ingredients like oatmeal, aloe vera, and almond oil are easily absorbed into the top layer of skin to help retain moisture.
- Cleansers – All dogs produce natural oils in their skin which can accumulate over time. Finding a shampoo with the right cleansing agents to remove excess oil without over-drying your dog’s skin is important. Soap-free cleansers are ideal for Yorkies.
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a dog shampoo for Yorkies, you may be ready to start shopping. Before you do, however, take the time to learn about the different types of shampoo you’ll come across, so you can make an educated decision about what’s best for your Yorkie.
Different Types of Shampoos for Yorkies
Knowing what to look for in a shampoo for Yorkies is important, but you also need to know what different types of shampoo are out there. Different shampoos offer different benefits, so you may want to look for something other than an all-purpose dog shampoo for your Yorkie, depending on his specific issues. Here’s an overview of the different types of dog shampoo:
- General Purpose – If you bathe your Yorkie every couple of weeks and brush him frequently in between, a general-purpose shampoo should be all you need to maintain his healthy skin and coat. Look for one made with all-natural ingredients with beneficial additives like moisturizers.
- Puppy Shampoo – These shampoos are designed to be gentle on your Yorkie puppy’s sensitive skin. They are also typically made without soap and formulated to avoid irritating your puppy’s nose and eyes.
- Flea Shampoo – A good flea shampoo will kill existing fleas on contact and may also provide some long-lasting benefits. In most cases, however, you’ll still want to protect your Yorkie with a topical flea preventive or a flea collar.
- Dry Skin Relief – While most dog shampoos contain moisturizing ingredients, some shampoos are specifically designed for dogs with skin allergies and dry, itchy skin.
- Medicated Shampoo – Skin infections are an entirely different issue than skin allergies in many cases. Medicated shampoos are the treatment of choice for things like yeast (fungal) infections and bacterial skin infections.
- Conditioner – In addition to washing your Yorkie’s coat on a regular basis, you may also want to consider conditioning it. A good conditioner will provide an extra degree of moisturization and conditioning for your dog’s coat to help him look and feel his best between baths.
Keep in mind that the type of dog shampoo you use for your Yorkie’s routine baths may be different from one you use to treat skin infections or allergies. Always use a shampoo designed specifically for the issue you are trying to address and never use shampoo intended for humans on your Yorkie’s sensitive skin and delicate coat.
The 5 Best Dog Shampoos for Yorkies
All dog shampoos are not created equal, as you well know by now. If you’re looking for the best shampoo for your Yorkie, you’ll need to consider his unique needs before you make your choice. To help you get started, here are our top picks for the 6 best dog shampoos for Yorkies:
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Dog Shampoo for Yorkies:|
Overall Best Yorkie Dog Shampoo: When it comes to the best dog shampoo for Yorkies, this Nootie Dog Shampoo with Soothing Aloe checks all the boxes. Not only is it made from 100% all-natural ingredients, but it is a soap-free formula uniquely designed to provide itchy skin relief. This recipe features soothing natural ingredients like coconut oil and colloidal oatmeal to relieve, rejuvenate, and restore your Yorkie’s skin. It is completely free from soap, parabens, and other chemicals which could irritate your dog’s sensitive skin and it is a natural deodorizer as well. Plus, it is backed by a pet-pleasing guarantee.
- Pros: 100% all-natural ingredients, deodorizing formula, soap-free recipe, coconut oil and oatmeal, pleasant mellow fragrance, no parabens or chemicals, pet-pleasing guarantee
- Cons: Not designed for skin infections, somewhat expensive
Best Shampoo for Yorkie Puppies: If you’re looking for an ultra-gentle formula designed for your Yorkie puppy’s sensitive skin, look no further than this TropiClean Hypoallergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy Shampoo. Not only is it hypoallergenic to reduce the risk of skin reactions, but it is soap-free and super-mild to ensure a pleasant bath time experience for you and your puppy. This formula features gentle, natural ingredients to carefully cleanse your puppy’s skin and remove dander, leaving him smelling clean and feeling fresh. Plus, the aloe vera helps replenish valuable moisture to protect your puppy’s skin and coat.
- Pros: Ultra-gentle for puppies, soap-free formula, coconut cleanses while aloe moisturizes, works for puppies with allergies and sensitive skin, natural ingredients
- Cons: Scent may be too strong for some dogs, bottle cap may break easily
Best Shampoo for Sensitive Skin: Itchy and sensitive skin is a problem for many Yorkies, so it pays to have a good shampoo on hand designed specifically to address these issues. Our top pick for the best dog shampoo for Yorkies with sensitive skin is Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe All-Natural Dog Shampoo. This shampoo features a soap-free formula to reduce skin irritation with hydrating, soothing ingredients like oatmeal and aloe vera. It has a gentle vanilla and almond scent to keep your dog smelling fresh and clean. Plus, it is 100% biodegradable and free from both phosphates and parabens.
- Pros: Soap-free formula, natural moisturizers like oatmeal and aloe vera, cleans and deodorizes, gentle vanilla almond scent, 100% biodegradable, paraben- and phosphate-free
- Cons: Some dogs dislike the scent, may not relieve severe itching
More Top-Rated Dog Shampoos for Yorkies
If you’re not sure whether one of the three options above is quite right for your Yorkie, don’t worry – we’ve got plenty more recommendations for you! Here are three more to get you going:
If you’re looking for an all-purpose dog shampoo that is also hypoallergenic and all-natural, look no further than this 4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo. Not only is it natural and hypoallergenic, but it is made with USDA certified organic ingredients and designed to cleanse, hydrate, and rejuvenate your Yorkie’s skin and coat. It contains essential oils for gentle cleansing with lemongrass as a natural flea deterrent. It is also environmentally friendly and made from sustainable ingredients.
This shampoo was specifically designed for dogs with silky, flat-lying coats just like your Yorkie. It is a gentle cleansing shampoo supplemented with aloe vera juice and panthenol to strengthen your dog’s coat and protect it from damage. It also removes dirt while gently detangling and softening your Yorkie’s coat and, with its pleasant vanilla and jasmine scent, your pup will smell like he just stepped out of the salon. There is also a conditioner available for an added layer of protection.
5 Tips for Bathing a Yorkie
Bathing a dog may seem simple enough, but the Yorkie is a special case. With most dogs, it’s perfectly acceptable to simply fill the bathtub with a few inches of water then toss your dog in. Because the Yorkie is so small and fragile, however, this could prove disastrous. Here are some simple tips for bathing your Yorkie:
- Bathe your Yorkie in the sink instead of the tub or, better yet, hold him under the running water instead of putting him in the tub directly.
- Use a spray nozzle to wet your Yorkie’s coat and to rinse out the soap – this is the best way to make sure you get all of the soap residue out, so it doesn’t dry your Yorkie’s skin.
- Be very careful about water temperature because Yorkies are more sensitive than most dogs – what feels warm to you could feel hot to your dog.
- If your Yorkie has dry, itchy skin you should wash him in cool rather than warm water – check the temperature on the inside of your wrist to test it.
- Don’t use a blow dryer on your Yorkie’s coat if he has dry skin – it is best to let it air dry so he doesn’t lose any precious moisture.
Your Yorkie is unique and so are his grooming needs. If you’re not able to care for your Yorkie’s coat properly with regular grooming and bathing, this may not be the right breed for you. Keep reading to learn the answers to some frequently asked questions about bathing a Yorkie.
How often should a Yorkie be bathed? – To keep your Yorkie’s skin and coat healthy, he should be brushed every two to three days. Even with regular brushing, however, loose and dead hairs can gather in your dog’s coat close to the skin and prevent proper airflow which can lead to other problems. To prevent these problems, Yorkies should be bathed every three to four weeks. Keep in mind that if your Yorkie’s skin or coat is in poor condition, however, you may need to bath him more often until those issues have been resolved.
How can I make my Yorkie smell better? – Keeping up with a regular routine of bathing your Yorkie is the best way to keep him smelling fresh. All dogs produce natural oils in their skin which help to moisturize and condition the skin and coat. After about three weeks, those oils accumulate to the point that things can start getting a little stinky – bathing every 3 to 4 weeks will help wash away the excess oil. In addition to bathing your Yorkie on a regular basis, you should consider using a leave-in conditioner or coat spray. In addition to moisturizing and protecting your dog’s coat, it will also keep him smelling fresh and help repel dirt and debris.