Goldendoodles (Poodle x Golden Retriever Mix) are a popular dog breed, beloved for their intelligence and friendly nature.
But what’s the best food for Goldendoodle?
We’ve gathered 13 of the best dog foods for Goldendoodles, so you can be sure your furry friend is getting the right nutrients.
From grain-free diets to kibble options with added supplements, we’ve got you covered. Keep reading to find the perfect food for your Goldendoodle!
- Nutritional Requirements of Goldendoodles
- Common Health Concerns in Goldendoodles
- 13 Best Dog Foods for a Goldendoodle
- 9 More Top Rated Goldendoodle Dog Foods
- Sundays Food For Dogs
- Spot & Tango UnKibble
- Wellness Complete Health Adult Deboned Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- True Acre Foods Grain-Free Beef & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
- Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Dry Dog Food
- Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult Dry
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Formula
- Goldendoodle Feeding Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Nutritional Requirements of Goldendoodles
A diet that’s tailored just for your furry Goldendoodle friend can help them live a happier life!
Goldendoodles need balanced meals with the right kind of nutrients so they stay healthy and strong.
In general, dogs (including doodles) need several different kinds of nutrients to survive, including amino acids from proteins, fatty acids and carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and water.
Dietary protein contains 10 specific amino acids that dogs cannot make on their own, so it’s important to include protein in your dog’s diet. Carbohydrates and fats are the major sources of dietary energy for dogs.
Energy is generally measured in terms of calories, and it comes from three major dietary components: carbohydrates, protein, and fats. When choosing a food for your dog, be sure to check the label to make sure it meets your dog’s nutritional needs.
Ideally, a dog’s diet will include ingredients that provide the following key nutrients:
- Protein: helps with muscle growth and repair
- Fat: provides energy and essential vitamins
- Carbohydrates: another source of energy
- Fiber: aids with digestion
- Vitamins and minerals: helps to keep the immune system strong
Protein and Amino Acids
Goldendoodles need 10 essential amino acids to thrive. These essential amino acids are something that Goldendoodles (or any other dog) can’t produce on their own and must be supplied through their diet.
With that being said protein quality should be considered when selecting a food for your Goldendoodle.
Protein sources from meat, poultry, and fish are considered “complete” proteins because they contain all 10 essential amino acids.
Other protein sources like grains, beans, and vegetables are considered “incomplete” because they lack one or more of the essential amino acids.
Fats and Fatty Acids
Fats and Fatty Acids are often thought to be the enemy, but that couldn’t be further from the truth when it comes to your Goldendoodle’s diet.
Your Goldendoodle’s main source of energy will come from these essential nutrients.
Beyond providing your Goldendoodle with tons of energy (as if they needed more) fats and fatty acids also play an important role in:
- Keeping their skin and coat healthy
- Aiding in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins
- Supporting the immune system
Some excellent sources of fats include the following ingredients:
- Chicken fat
- Beef fat
- Flaxseed oil
- Fish oil
Now that we have touched on the two building blocks of your pet’s diet, let’s take a look at the common heath concerns and how your dog’s diet can help.
Common Health Concerns in Goldendoodles
For the most part, Goldendoodles are fairly healthy dogs. They get the occasional ear infections like other floppy-eared breeds.
Here are some other common health concerns in Goldendoodles:
Hip dysplasia: Most commonly found in your larger breeds hip dysplasia is a condition that involves the abnormal formation of the hip joint. This can lead to lameness, pain, and eventually arthritis.
Elbow dysplasia: Usually pet owners don’t think of dogs as having elbows. But elbow dysplasia is a condition that involves the abnormal formation of the elbow joint. This can lead to lameness and arthritis.
Goldendoodles are also susceptible to the following health conditions:
- Allergies – the dreaded allergies. If your dog develops a food allergen it is important to conduct a food trial under the guidance of your veterinarian.
- Autoimmune disease – pemphigus foliaceous is the most common autoimmune disease seen in Goldendoodles. This disease causes blisters and crusting on the skin.
- Hypothyroidism – if your Goldendoodle starts to gain weight, has little to no energy, and their coat becomes coarse and brittle they may be suffering from hypothyroidism.
- Epilepsy – Of all neurological disorders in dogs, Epilepsy is the most commonly diagnosed by vets. While unfortunately there is no one definitive cause of Epilepsy in dogs, it is believed to be genetic.
- Bloat – Gastric dilatation-volvulus is a serious/scary condition that can affect any deep-chested dog. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. This is a medical emergency and can be deadly if not treated immediately.
A nutrient rich dog food can go a long way to helping prevent or manage many of these common health concerns.
13 Best Dog Foods for a Goldendoodle
- First Five Ingredients: Diced chicken, sweet potatoes, squash, spinach, water
- Lifestage: All Godlendoodles
Overall Best Dog Food for Goldendoodles: NomNom is a pet food company that delivers fresh, healthy meals to your door. They have four different recipes – Chicken Cruisine, Beef Mash, Pork Potluck and Turkey Fare – that are formulated by in-house Board Certified Veterinary Nutritionists. The recipes are balanced and exceed AAFCO standards for all life stages. The meals are pre-portioned and based on your dog’s unique dietary needs. They are prepared, mixed and packed with care in NomNom’s own USA kitchens. While fresh pet food can be more expensive than traditional dry kibble, many people believe it is worth the extra cost to feed their pets healthy, nutritious meals.
- First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley
- Lifestage: Goldendoodle Puppy
Overall Best Puppy Food for Goldendoodle Puppies: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional needs of puppies. It contains calcium, phosphorus and essential vitamins for strong bones and teeth, as well as special “puppy-sized” kibble for smaller jaws that promote tartar removal. Additionally, DHA and ARA are included for healthy brain and eye development, while high-quality protein supports healthy muscle growth. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids promote a healthy skin and coat, and vitamins, chelated minerals and antioxidants support the immune system. This food is also free of corn, wheat, soy and chicken (or poultry) by-product meals.
- First Five Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal (a source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Turkey Meal, Peas, Sweet Potatoes
- Lifestage: All Goldenoodles
Overall Best Affordable Dog Food for Goldendoodles: American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a nutritious and delicious food for your pup. This food is grain-free and also free of corn, wheat and soy to help food sensitive pets avoid fillers that might upset their stomach. The nutritious fruits and vegetables like blueberries, carrots and dried kelp provide vitamins, minerals, antioxidants for immune system support, and phytonutrients. This food is also high in protein with real, deboned salmon that is not only delicious but full of amino acids that help maintain lean muscle mass. The salmon oil and flaxseed provide omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, including long-chain DHA, which helps support your dog’s skin and coat health and brain and eye development. This food also includes fiber-rich chickpeas and sweet potatoes for energy that lasts throughout every adventure.
- First Five Ingredients: Salmon, Barley, Rice, Oat Meal, Canola Meal
- Lifestage: Adult Dogs
Overall Best For Goldendoodles with Allergies: Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice is a dry dog food that is formulated to nurture your sidekick’s sensitive skin and stomach. This high-protein recipe features real, nutrient-rich salmon as the very first ingredient, and it is crafted without corn, wheat or soy. It includes omega-6 fatty acids to help support a healthy skin and coat, and it is fortified with live probiotics and prebiotic fiber for digestive and immune health. Plus, this delicious dog food is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. So go ahead and give your furry friend the nourishment they deserve with Purina Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice.
- First Five Ingredients: Humanely raised beef, beef broth, pumpkin, carrots, green beans
- Lifestage: All Goldendoodles
Overall Best Wet Dog Food for Goldendoodles: Open Farms is 100% Animal Welfare Certified, so we know the beef is coming from audited high welfare farms. Plus, it contains pumpkin (a personal favorite of my dog), and all of the ingredients are human grade. So not only is this food delicious, but it’s also nutritious!
9 More Top Rated Goldendoodle Dog Foods
- First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Eggs, Millet, Oat
- Lifestage: All Goldendoodles
Looking for a delicious and nutritious chicken recipe for your pup? Sundays has got you covered! Sunday’s All-Natural Chicken Recipe is made with human grade ingredients and is gently air dried. Plus, it’s created by a vet – so you know it’s good for your furry friend! The first five ingredients in their recipe are chicken, chicken liver, eggs, millet, oat, and pumpkin. And we have breed specific sizes for small, medium, and large breed dogs. So no matter what size pup you have, we have the perfect recipe for them! Give your dog the taste of Sundays today!
- First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Brown Rice, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Apples
- Lifestage: All Goldendoodles
Looking for a healthier, more affordable alternative to kibble? Look no further than Spot & Tango UnKibble. Their food is made with 100% fresh, whole ingredients and delivered right to your door. Plus, their personalized plans make it easy to find the perfect food for your pup. And because their food is vet developed, you can be sure your pup is getting the nutrients they need. Best of all, their food contains no artificial additives, colors or flavors. So switch to Spot & Tango UnKibble today and give your pup the nutrition they deserve.
- First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Peas
- Lifestage: Adult Dog Food
Looking for a top-quality dry dog food that will provide your four-legged friend with whole-body nutritional support? Well, look no further than Wellness Complete Health Adult Deboned Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe Dry Dog Food! This premium kibble is specially formulated to meet the needs of adult dogs, and is made using only the finest globally sourced ingredients. It’s also developed without any GMOs, meat by-products, fillers or artificial preservatives, so you can feel good about what you’re feeding your furry friend. Plus, it’s supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine – all of which work together to keep your dog healthy and happy.
- First Five Ingredients: Water Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas
- Lifestage: Adult Dog Food
When it comes to your furry friend’s food, you want them to be able to enjoy the best of the best. That’s why Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is perfect for them! This delicious dry food is crafted with real meat as the #1 ingredient, and is high in protein to help support bones, joints and lean muscles. It also contains vitamins and minerals from real fruits and superfoods, omega fatty acids for skin and coat health, and nutrients for the energy your furry friend needs to thrive! Plus, it contains species-specific K9 Strain Proprietary Probiotics, along with antioxidants and prebiotics to help support healthy digestion, immune system health and overall health and wellness. And it’s all made in the USA by a family-owned brand that only uses quality ingredients from trusted domestic and global sources.
- First Five Ingredients: Beef, Peas, Pea Starch, Poultry By-Product Meal, Canola Meal
- Lifestage: Adult
This farm-to-bowl dry food is packed with USA-raised beef as the first ingredient to support those strong muscles followed by a trifecta of fruits and vegetables. It’s a complete and balanced grain-free meal with all the good stuff like antioxidants, fiber and omegas—plus it’s free of any grains, wheat, corn or artificial colors or flavors. Your pup will love the taste of this food (plus the added bonus that it promotes gentle digestion and a healthy coat). So go ahead and give them the works—they deserve it. Because a country home isn’t complete without a four-legged friend.
- First Five Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Peas
- Lifestage: Adult
Looking for a dry dog food that is complete and balanced nutrition for dogs of all breeds and sizes? Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken Dry Dog Food is a great natural formula for your furry friend. Made with twelve whole fruits and vegetables such as beets, blueberries, cranberries and apples that are not genetically modified. Added prebiotics and probiotics increase digestion and help with the absorption of food. Vitamins and antioxidants such as vitamin A, vitamin B12 and taurine ensure optimal health.
- First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Split Peas, Brewers Rice
- Lifestage: Adult
If you’re looking for a dry food that’s perfect for smaller goldendoodles, Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult Dry is a great option. Made with high-quality protein and real chicken as the first ingredient, it’s designed to meet the needs of small breed dogs. Plus, it’s made with non-GMO ingredients and free of chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat or soy. And to support healthy joints, it features natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin. Best of all, it’s great for dogs ages 1 year and older. So if you want to give your goldendoodle the best possible nutrition, Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult Dry is a great choice.
- First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Tapioca Starch, Potatoes
- Lifestage: Adult
This grain-free food is made with duck meat that’s rich in protein and helps support muscle health. Plus, the whole grain brown rice is packed with fiber to aid with digestion. And it’s enriched with essential vitamins and minerals. Best of all, it’s free of soy, gluten, artificial colors, and artificial flavors. So it’s paw-fect for pups with allergies, digestive sensitivities, and skin irritation. Give your Goldendoodle the best with Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Formula.
Goldendoodle Feeding Guide
When looking at dog food brands to give to your Goldendoodle, there are several things you should take into account.
The first is what ingredients are in the food.
High quality dog food will contain meat as the first ingredient, followed by vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. You should avoid foods that contain fillers such as corn or wheat as these can be difficult for your dog to digest.
You should also avoid artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives as these can be harmful to your dog.
Look for great meat sources like menhaden fish meal, chicken meal, and lamb meal.
The second is the life stage of your dog.
The life stage of Goldendoodles can be broken up into three stages:
- Puppy – Ohhhhh, the puppy stage. It’s so cute watching them play and tumble, but it’s important to make sure they’re getting the right nutrition to grow up healthy and strong. Look for a food that is specifically designed for puppies and has DHA to support cognitive development.
- Adult – Adult stage is considered to start once your goldendoodle reaches 12 months old. During this stage, you’ll want to transition them to adult formula dog food.
- Senior – The final stage of a GGoldendoodle’s life begins around 7 years old. At this point, you’ll want to look for food that is designed for senior dogs. It will contain less fat and calories to help them maintain a healthy weight, as well as joint support ingredients to keep them active and playful.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I feed my Goldendoodle a Grain Free Diet? – No, you don’t have to. Unless your dog has a grain allergy, there is no need to switch them to a grain free diet. With no medical or physiologic basis for the diet, it is unnecessary and may even be harmful.
What to look for in a good Goldendoodle Puppy Food? – Ingredients like ocean fish meal, menhaden fish meal, chicken meal, and lamb meal are all great sources of protein for puppies. Look for a food that is specifically designed for puppies and has DHA to support cognitive development.
Should I feed my Goldendoodle a Wet Food? – While wet food can be a great addition to your Goldendoodle’s diet, it is not necessary. Wet food can be higher in calories and fat, so if your dog is already at a healthy weight, there is no need to switch them to wet food.
Picking a Goldendoodle dog food is an important part of keeping your pup healthy and happy.
A healthy diet consisting of high quality proteins, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains is essential for all life stages.
Be aware of food allergies and sensitivities, and avoid foods that contain fillers, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
With all this being said, consult your veterinarian to find the best dog food for your individual Goldendoodle.
Now go forth and feed those pups!