Goldendoodle Shampoo: 6 Best Dog Shampoos for Goldendoodles
- What are the Best Shampoo and Conditioners for Goldendoodles?
- What to Look for in a Top-Rated Goldendoodle Shampoo
- The 6 Best Dog Shampoos for Goldendoodles
- 3 More Top-Rated Dog Shampoos for Goldendoodles
- 7 Tips for Bathing a Goldendoodle
- Fun Facts About Goldendoodles
- FAQ regarding Bathing a Goldendoodle:
A Goldendoodle is a hybrid dog – a mix between a Golden Retriever and Poodle. This designer breed is often mistaken for a purebred dog because they have become increasingly popular and common, but Goldendoodles are, in fact, a hybrid. They are intelligent, active dogs with beautiful fluffy coats. While brushing your Goldendoodle should be a weekly routine, baths are only necessary on an as-needed basis.
What are the Best Shampoo and Conditioners for Goldendoodles?
- Buddy Wash Refreshing Rosemary & Mint Dog Shampoo
- Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Dog Shampoo
- Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Dog Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Waterless Shampoo With Apple & Honey
- Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo With Aloe Vera
- Earthbath Light Color Coat Brightening Lavender Dog Shampoo
What to Look for in a Top-Rated Goldendoodle Shampoo
A Goldendoodle’s skin has natural oils and moisture that are vital for a healthy coat. If bathed too often, your Goldendoodle can lose some of those essential moisturizing elements, which will then dry out their skin and coat. Here’s what you need to consider when choosing a shampoo for your Goldendoodle.
- Goldendoodles are like big teddy bears, and they require a high-quality shampoo to penetrate their thick coat.
- Beneath all of those luscious curls tends to be sensitive skin, so your Goldendoodle will need a dog shampoo that is gentle on the skin.
- Goldendoodles can have different textures of fur – fleece-like, curly or wavy. You will need a shampoo based on what type of fur your doodle has.
- You’ll want to purchase a shampoo with effective moisturizing to lock in your dog’s natural oils.
Before bathing your Goldendoodle, brush them out and trim their hair as you see fit. Use a pick to detangle any areas of concern, and rid the coat of any matted fur.
The 6 Best Dog Shampoos for Goldendoodles
Goldendoodles tend to be sensitive to chemicals that can potentially exist in certain shampoos. It’s important that you choose a natural or limited-ingredient shampoo to ensure your doodle’s skin won’t become irritated. Using a two-in-one shampoo will help you comb through knots and tangles to give your doodle a healthy, fluffy look.
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Goldendoodle Shampoo:|
Buddy Wash Refreshing Rosemary & Mint Dog Shampoo
Overall Best Goldendoodle Dog Shampoo: Buddy Wash makes a variety of shampoos that are great for bathing your Goldendoodle. The rosemary and mint formula is a two-in-one shampoo and conditioner made from natural ingredients. The essential oils and botanical extracts create a rich lather to thoroughly clean your doodle’s coat and leave it looking shiny and soft. This dog shampoo is also infused with aloe vera and tea tree oil to soothe itchy, dry or irritated skin.
- Pros: Coconut-based and alcohol-free mean that bath time for your Goldendoodle will be soothing. The wheat protein properties will deodorize your doodle if they’ve gotten into something unsanitary. Buddy Wash shampoos are made in the USA and are safe for frequent use if necessary.
- Cons: This Buddy Wash shampoo does not have antimicrobial properties.
Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Dog Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Goldendoodles With Sensitive Skin: If you are interested in a 100% organic shampoo for your Goldendoodle, this is the one. Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera formula was created for dogs with sensitive or dry skin. The natural oils help moisturize the skin, and gently soothes any pain or itching related to fleas or dryness. Paws & Pals is made from vegan, all-natural ingredients, making it perfect for your Goldendoodle’s coat care routine.
- Pros: This shampoo is soap-free and non-toxic. It helps detangle your dog’s fluffy fur. Even if this shampoo gets in your doodle’s eyes, it won’t cause harm or irritation. Made in the USA.
- Cons: You have to buy conditioner separately, as this is not a two-in-one formula.
Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Dog Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Goldendoodles With Allergies: Does your Goldendoodle suffer from allergies? Does their skin get irritated easily? Dr. Harvey’s offers an herbal dog shampoo which is organic, chemical-free and all natural. If your doodle have allergy-prone skin, Dr. Harvey’s with help soothe and moisturize it with a blend of essential oils and extracts. Your dog deserves a healthy, shiny coat, and Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Dog Shampoo can help with its paraben and phosphate-free properties. With this shampoo, you can rest easy knowing that your Goldendoodle isn’t being subjected to chemicals, dyes or perfumes.
- Pros: Free of chemicals, dyes, detergents, parabens and phosphate. Hypoallergenic, eco-friendly and biodegradable. Great for dogs of all ages. The Dr. Harvey’s brand is known for making trustworthy pet products.
- Cons: Does not repel pests unlike the protection shampoo formula.
3 More Top-Rated Dog Shampoos for Goldendoodles
Burt’s Bees Waterless Shampoo With Apple & Honey
Since frequent baths are not necessary for Goldendoodles, a waterless shampoo can be beneficial. Instead of subjecting your doodle to a bath and potentially stripping their coat of natural oils and moisture, you can use this waterless shampoo spray. All you have to do is spray this pH balanced formula onto their coat and massage thoroughly. Simply towel dry them afterwards and you’re done! The apple and honey in Burt’s Bees waterless shampoo help to promote shiny, healthy fur.
Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo With Aloe Vera
For a gentle, soothing deep cleaning, Zesty Paws offers an excellent cost-effective option. This shampoo is formulated with a variety of vitamins, aloe vera, quinoa, and almond extract, which will leave your Goldendoodle’s coat feeling soft and clean. Zesty Paws dog shampoo will moisturize your doodle’s sensitive skin, and vitamins E and D will relieve irritation from hot spots. Oatmeal properties in this shampoo will create a protective, moisturizing layer on your dog’s skin. Zesty Paws oatmeal anti-itch shampoo is effective for Goldendoodles of all ages.
Earthbath Light Color Coat Brightening Lavender Dog Shampoo
If your Goldendoodle has light colored fur (as most do), you’ll want to keep their coat looking beautiful and bright. Earthbath Light Color Coat Brightening shampoo is coconut-based and contains optical enhancing minerals to clean stains and lift dirt for your doodle’s precious coat. This shampoo is paraben-free, and it will add some extra shine to your Goldendoodle’s fur through a natural blend of ingredients.
7 Tips for Bathing a Goldendoodle
Goldendoodles only require bathing on an as-needed basis. You shouldn’t bathe your doodle more often than every six weeks or so. Their curly coats don’t shed, but they can become tangled and matted if not brushed about once a week. Follow the tips below to give your Goldendoodle the best bath experience possible.
- Your Goldendoodle’s bath time will be much more pleasant if you rid their coat of knots and mats before bathing. Use a fine tooth comb or pick to do so. If you don’t pick out mats before bathing your Goldendoodle, it can further exacerbate the matting.
- Always use warm water in the bath. You want your doodle to be as comfortable as possible.
- Shave or trim any excess hair before bathing your Goldendoodle, if necessary, of course.
- Pour a line of shampoo from the back of the ears to the tail of your dog. Lather their coat in a single direction, as ruffling their fur can cause tangles and knots.
- Warm up a towel for drying by putting it in the dryer for about 10 minutes. A warm towel always feels good after bath time!
- When drying your Goldendoodle, gentle pat them instead of rubbing them down with the towel. You want to do whatever you can to avoid tangling their fluffy coat.
- If you blow dry your doodle’s coat, allow it to dry in the direction of the hair growth. You can assist by brushing in that direction.
Fun Facts About Goldendoodles
- Goldendoodles are a fairly new cross-breed dog, as they didn’t start becoming popular until the 1990s.
- Goldendoodles inherit their non-shedding attributes from their Poodle genes.
- The first Goldendoodle was bred in 1969.
FAQ regarding Bathing a Goldendoodle:
How often should I bathe my Goldendoodle? – Goldendoodles should only be bathed every six to eight weeks. Over-bathing can lead to dry and irritated skin. Goldendoodles already have sensitive skin, so bathing them too often can lead to irritation or skin conditions.
How can I make my Goldendoodle smell better? – If you’re not happy with the way your Goldendoodle smells, try using a more fragrant shampoo. You can also use natural deodorizing sprays between baths. If you find that sprays and different shampoos aren’t helping and your doodle still smells, they may have a health condition. Seek veterinary attention if your Goldendoodle continues to stink despite changes in bath time routine.